June 25, 2012

Orange creamsicle cupcakes.

Typically I'm not a fan of orange flavored things. Fruit, candy, drinks, or desserts. But my mother in law asked for orange creamsicle cupcakes for her birthday so I obliged and baked away. I baked away for about 2 hours on those darn cupcakes. I did try them after baking them and I loved them. Everyone seemed to love them. I will definately be adding these into the mix of cupcakes to bake regularly. I kind of followed the Better Homes and Garden recipe that she found on Facebook. I did do a couple of things differently though.

Here's the recipe copied from Better Homes and Garden (with my additions):
Cupcake Recipe
Ingredients
3 ounce package orange-flavor gelatin
Box of white cake mix
3 ounce cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling mix
1/4 cups orange juice
4 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons of fresh squeezed orange juice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin cups with foil bake cups. Set aside 2 teaspoons of the gelatin for frosting. In a mixing bowl beat the remaining gelatin, the cake mix, pudding mix, orange juice, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
2. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. .
3. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
4. Once cupcakes cool, brush with orange juice to seal in flavor.


Frosting Recipe
Ingredients:
8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
5 1/2 - 6 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
1-2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
Couple of drops of Wilton Orange Icing Colors
Directions:
In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency. Add the orange juice as needed to thin icing out. Add the reserved orange jello from the cupcakes and the orange zest. Add in the drops of orange coloring. Beat to combine.
I decorated my cupcakes with some sugar sprinkles and one white pearl on the tip of each cupcake!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment